Followers

Followers

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Template for action research



Additional A.R.P. comments and actions:

It was mentioned in blogging that as I implement surveys, I need to put who would create them and place a deadline on that task as well.  This gives us a goal for the completion of the survey instead of just saying I'd have one available.  It was also a concern of who would be adopting this program.  Would it be by all of the teachers or just a select few (like a pilot program)?  If it were a pilot program, then the results from this year could very easily be compared to determine how effective it really was. How much staff development time is needed to get this program up and going?  As this program is being presented by me and one other teacher.  I have a survey that I am asking Central Office to modify for SD, and targeting questions of our program's implementation. I want to make teachers aware that there will be a follow up throughout the year to determine effectiveness and take photos of sample work in their classes.  Another blogger said, “So often we only receive sit and get information so sit, use and evaluate staff development is awesome! In my opinion knowing someone will be checking to see how I use SD, would motivate me to use the information.”
  Site Supervisor discussion did present a few additions to bring my plan to fruition.  His support in allowing me to track data for my target group by collecting student STAAR scores.  I appreciate the support and trust that my entire district is giving me in my endeavor.  Another addition that was mentioned; his plan is to have subs or additional staff to fill in my classes on occasion so that I may present and discuss progress in department meetings etc. in using this CI piece presented during in-service.





Action Planning Template
Goal: Researching the idea of, Will we see increased student achievement by implementing “What’s Yours?” which is the continuous improvement model of targeting state standards?
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation

Discuss Possible topics with site supervisor.






C. Bookhamer
D. Patterson

Aug. 1, 2013 – Aug. 8, 2013

Internship plan
Principal
School data
Internet
2012-2013 STAAR scores for upcoming 7th and 8th graders

Decide topic issue and analyze previous years test scores before the “What’s Yours?” presentation

Modify district survey to target staff development piece


C. Bookhamer
C. Neal
M. Johnson
Dr. R. Perez

Aug. 5-15, 2013

Previous year’s survey from  staff development

Create a Pre-
Evaluation form and modify post SD evaluation to address comprehension of “What’s Yours?” staff development/
Continuous improvement

Request district staff development surveys for analysis




C. Bookhamer
C. Neal

Aug. 12, 2013- Sept. 30, 2013

Surveys from 2013-2014 Staff Development/
Continuous Improvement

Evaluate survey data after LMS staff submits for “What’s Yours?” Continuous Improvement


Request and follow up with direct access to student STAAR score data



C. Bookhamer
D. Patterson


Oct. 1, 2013- Oct. 15, 2013


District access to STAAR data for current 8th grade class for the previous year


Record raw data on template to add comparisons to once Benchmarks and final 2013-2014 STAAR data results are released.

Meet with department leaders, cite-based and focus committees on collecting qualitative data






C. Bookhamer
D. Patterson
D. Greenhouse
A. White
Dept. and committee heads

Oct. 1, 2013-
Dec. 19, 2013

Detailed form of information being requested for collection.  Personal inquiry surveys for students and teachers.
Skyward reports on first semester test score data.

Evaluate and log findings of qualitative and quantitative data

Meet with department leaders, cite-based and focus committees on collecting qualitative data




C. Bookhamer
D. Patterson
D. Greenhouse
A. White
Dept. and committee heads

Jan. 9, 2013-
Jan. 29, 2013

Detailed form of information being requested for collection.  Personal inquiry surveys for students and teachers.
Skyward reports on first semester test score data.


Evaluate and log findings of qualitative and quantitative data.

Continue to track qualitative and quantitative data for report






C. Bookhamer
D. Patterson

Jan. 30, 2014-
June 8, 2014

Principal or district surveys follow up.
Skyward data reports and STAAR test score results for year end.

Evaluate and compare to that of previous year and earlier practice prior to “What’s Yours?” presentation.


Meet with site supervisor to discuss results

C. Bookhamer
D. Patterson

June 9, 2014

Data from survey and all records.

Evaluate data and survey to determine if there was increased performance by implementing “What’s Yours?” and ideas for improvement.

13 comments:

  1. Crystal, yours is very good. I know how to put it together. Just a suggestion, before you find out your results just list some ideas for improvement. I know this is just a draft. Also, is the what's yours and what's that part of the What's your target? -M. Chaisson

    ReplyDelete
  2. The actual title of the presentation is "What's Yours?" I had better have them follow in tandem with one another. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,
    Your plan is very good. I'm not familiar with this program, but I noticed that the description says "continuous improvement model of targeting state standards."-I'm sure it's on your mind, but I don't see in your plan where your teachers will make adjustments to lessons based on data that you find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Whats Yours?" is a staff dev. piece that several elementary campuses have already received last year. I want to track my own campus to see if they are implementing the continuous improvement once they receive it in one of the 2013-14 staff dev. sessions. I will track not just quantitative, but qualitative data as well. I will take shots of their work demonstrating this implementation throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your research topic, I am unfamiliar with the program, but I like the idea of someone actually following through with staff development implementation. So often we only receive sit and get information so sit, use and evaluate staff development is awesome! In my opinion knowing someone will be checking to see how I use SD, would motivate me to use the information. I hope I understood your purpose. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the purpose. Track data, and follow them through qualitative measures as well to determine how effective the SD was for staff.

      Delete
  6. The "What Yours?"model sounds interesting.Where may I get more information about it?I like that you will track the effectiveness of a staff development.Sometimes as teachers we receive so many trainings and there is no way to say if the knowledge acquired is being transferred to the classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is led by myself and another teacher. We have already given three presentations during the previous school year. Main target is focusing everyday in creating rigorous questions that target the TEKS by modeling similar questions to that of STAAR. There is a bit more in the presentation as far as teaching techniques and strategies shared, but that is part of the program.

      Delete
  7. Christal,

    I'm implementing surveys in my plan as well. Something I went back and added to my plan is the actual creation of the surveys to be used and who would create them. For me, it gave me a goal for the completion of the survey instead of just saying I'd have one available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am wondering if this program will be adopted by all of the teachers or just a select few (like a pilot program). If it were a pilot program, then the results from this year could very easily be compared to determine how effective it really was. How much staff development time is needed to get this program up and going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      This program is being given by myself and one other teacher. I have a survey that I am asking Central Office to modify for SD, and targeting questions of our program's implementation. I want to make teachers aware that there will be a follow up throughout the year to determine effectiveness and take photos of examples in their classes. Do you have any ideas of how I could do this?

      Delete
  9. This looks like a very in depth plan and that you have already set a good foundation. I am also wondering is this program encompassing all teachers at your school or just a select few?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, This program is presented to middle school and high school. My target/research group is middle school, and more specifically, upcoming 8th grade class.

      Delete